Napa isn't all about excellent wine and scenic vineyards, it's also about family-friendly fun and gastronomic exploration (though the wine scene truly is top-notch, parents).
Oftentimes we get family vacation requests for Napa, the families having no idea where to take their kids to eat that isn't too expensive, too wine-focused, or too uninviting for children overall. That's where this handy guide comes in.
There are family-friendly eating options all throughout the area, you just have to know where to look! From popular Napa city classics to seriously delicious desserts, we've found the best of the best. Here are our favorite choices for Best in Town, Kid Classics, Just Desserts, and Kids Eat Free locations!
Best In Town -
- Gott's Roadside - A true Napa classic, Gott's Roadside has been 'serving California's Roadside since 1999'. Inventive burgers, convenient self-service, and a modern 21st-century take on a 1950's burger joint await inside, as do several choices for delicious authentic franks, shakes, onion rings, and fries. There are even more modern burger options such as the Ahi Burger, a classic with a fresh Cali spin. Oh, and parents, the wine selection here is nothing to scoff at either.
- Kitchen Door - The concept for this popular Oxbow Market eatery is to allow guests to get a glimpse inside the 'kitchen door', a great way for your kids to be involved in the culinary process. You can eat indoors or out, this seasonal menu providing a really wide variety of dishes such as soups, salads, pizzas, burgers, clams, salmon, and even cheesecakes! Families and foodies alike love the comfort and economic value of this spot, as well as the immersive dining experience in general.
- Heritage Eats - Not only is Heritage Eats really family friendly, it's also one of the most popular eateries in town, this Bel Aire Plaza eatery allowing you to build your own tacos and taste various global-inspired eats. Heritage meats, gourmet wraps, and even kid classics such as PB&J's and grilled cheese sandwiches await inside, all ingredients used being 'carefully sourced' and seasonally influenced.
Kid Classics -
- Filipi's Pizza Grotto - What kid doesn't love pizza?? At Filipi's Pizza Grotto you will find all those delicious Italian red sauce classics, from Neopolitan pizzas and saucy plates of pasta to warm sandwiches and famous garlic bread. There are several kids plates outside of pizza as well, such as lasagna, ravioli, and spaghetti. This is a must stop for groups with several children in tow.
- Boon Fly Cafe - At the Boon Fly Cafe you will find a rustic roadhouse vibe serving casual and traditional cuisine. The atmosphere is lively and the food is the same, some favorites being the famous Boon Fly donuts, fried chicken, and green eggs and ham. You can also find things such as flatbreads, Kobe beef burgers, and classic chicken and waffles. But seriously, you have to try the donuts.
Just Desserts -
- Kara's Cupcakes - One of the sweetest stops you can make with your kiddos is hands-down Kara's Cupcakes, a Just Desserts shining gem in Oxbow that serves small sweets batches daily. Try the Banana Carmel or Chocolate Coconut cupcakes, or maybe the Passion Fruit or S'mores. There are always seasonal options as well, and if you buy a batch of fresh cookies you get a free glass bottle of milk! The Karmel Corn and Toasted Coconut Marshmallows are nothing to scoff at, either!
- Sift Dessert Bar Napa - Not only will your kids love this place, but you are going to love it also, as a matter of fact, there are very few people who don't love this place! Sift Dessert Bar provides cupcakes, frosting shots, and cake shakes, all extremely tasty options for a snack or dessert! In the mood for a cupcake? Try the OG. Macaroons? How about the Churro flavor? Make your favorite cupcake into an ice cream shake, try a salted caramel white chocolate chip cookie or whoopie cookie, or save room for a red velvet cruffle. The chefs here have been featured on, and won, Cupcake Wars in 2011, so you know this stuff is good!
Kids Eat Free -
- Black Bear Diner - Kid's eat free each Tuesday here if they bring their Black Bear teddy bear, this old-fashioned homestyle chain making 'scrumptious food in a friendly environment' that is just perfect for youngsters. try the fluffy pancakes, juicy burgers, fresh blts, or breakfast classics like chicken fried steak and eggs. Practically anything you get here will leave you wanting more, much, much more.(Nationwide chains such as Denny's, IHOP, and Applebees also regularly serve 'Kids Eat Free' options)