On your next big Midwestern adventure plan, a stop in Omaha, Nebraska, one of the quickest growing tourism stops in America's heartland.
Omaha is known for its vast public parks, festive community events, educational cultural centers and museums, and perhaps the biggest draw of all, the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, the #1 rated zoo in the world by TripAdvisor.
One of the biggest draws for us, however, is the amount of truly fun, educational, and memorable FREE attractions there are throughout the city! These free experiences make Omaha one of our favorite pit stops for group road tripping, visiting nearby cities, or looking for a fun weekend outing in general. Fun, fascinating, and free....what more could you ask for on your next vacation?
Free attractions in Omaha:
- Joslyn Art Museum - Nebraska's largest art museum, Joslyn, offers over 11,000 works of art for your group to discover...for free!
- Heartland of America Park - 31 acres of historic Lewis and Clark exploration land, picnic spots, scenic riverside rests and trails, and a 320-foot fountain all come together to make one of the most visited free attractions in Omaha!
- Bob the Bridge - This highly popular cable-stayed footbridge that connects Iowa and Nebraska above the Missouri River, the first bridge of it's kind to do this, is a must-visit (free) attraction!
- Pioneer Courage Park - This urban park is known for the 40-foot long bronze and stainless steel sculpture dedicated to the first pioneers to set foot on this soil...educational, and free!
- Boy's Town - A community dedicated to 'the care, treatment, and education of at-risk children'. Visit the founding fathers' home, various insightful museums, and the schools, churches, and homes of the residents who have taken advantage of the program.
- Gerald R Ford Birth Site - A memorial to the 38th President of the United States, this free attraction holds a kiosk modeled after the original turret with info and memorabilia. There is also a colonnade and rose garden on-site to visit.
- Shakespeare on the Green - A completely admission-free attraction that allows your group to sit down, relax, and enjoy the musings of Shakespeare in the open night air.
- Heron Haven - This stop provides views of and learning opportunities covering the local spring-fed wetland sanctuary, one of the last in the area. The Education Center also houses a small nature museum and a reference library.
- Bemis Center for Contemporary Art - One of the most visited free attractions in Omaha hands-down, Bemis provides guests with all the finest contemporary art from local, national, and international artists.
- Malcolm X Birthsite- A beautiful plaza and educational memorial site spanning 14-acres, open to the public regularly, a highly important part of local and national history.