10 Things [NOT] to do as a Student Traveler
Traveling while young is an absolutely amazing experience, especially if you are traveling with a class of peers your own age, though there are certain things to not do as a student traveler. Many young travelers are first timers and fall victim to several common travel traps, as we like to call them. Here are a few things for you and your group to NOT do on your big trip!
- Do not wander. - Wanderlust is great, but not when you are a part of a larger group who are keeping an eye on you. If you want to explore, do it in small travel groups held accountable for one another. Remember, not everywhere is as safe as home.
- Do not take taxis. - As a part of a student group this shouldn’t come up too often, but if presented with the chance do opt out of a taxi ride. These fares can add up quickly, and public transportation/renting a car is much more efficient.
- Do not rule out hostels. - Sometimes catching a bad rap (no they aren’t all like Eli Roth’s Hostel), hostels are honestly some of the most clean, safe, and cheap options for lodging, great for large groups.
- Do not eat at attractions. - Unless you are in a huge hurry to save time, eating at museums/zoos/shopping centers can be a costly mistake. Take your time, pack a picnic, or go find a local delicacy in the streets!
- Do not wait until the last minute. - Saving for trips like these takes time, so be sure to plan your trip details and money saving methods plenty of time in advance.
- Do not miscount travelling insurance. - Not many student groups think of this, but it is highly recommended that you all insure yourselves while on this trip, you never know what could happen!
- Do not over pack. - Simple as that, you don’t want to be carrying around extra stuff daily or from hotel to hotel while enjoying your vacation. Bring what is necessary and that is it.
- Do not flash your cash. - There are several people interested in your purses and wallets, so be sure to keep yours hidden and not all in the same place.
- Do not travel through your screen. - Several students enjoy taking photos, checking in, and posting about their trip while abroad. This is great, but be sure to see what is actually in front of you as well, there will be plenty of time to post later!
See also : Student Destinations