Add some adventure into your life this summer with a trip to the Cave of the Winds Adventure Park in Colorado Springs, the most exciting recreation attraction in the Pike's Peak region!
Welcome to the Cave of the Winds, the historic cave that has been around for millions of years, though it was most recently discovered in 1869. Shortly after discovery a couple of explorers, the Pickett Brothers, stood at the entrance of the cave and watched as their candles repeatedly flickered out, a strong gust coming from inside the limestone cavern. This is where the name 'Cave of the Winds' logically comes from. Even further back in history, there is the story of the Jicarilla Apaches speaking of a 'cave near manitou where the Great Spirit of Wind resides', as well.
While here your group will have several tour options below ground, and several recreation options above ground. Below ground, you can take a tour of the cave system, with 3 distinct tour options:
- Discovery Tour - 45-60 minutes within the lit portions of the cave
- Lantern Tour - 90 minutes of candle-lit exploration
- Caving 101 - 2-2.5 hours of crawling, climbing, and walking around.
Above ground, you will have seemingly endless options for recreation, with everything from shopping and dining options to zipline courses!
- Wind Walker Challenge Course - An exhilarating maze of topes, steel beams, and ladders 600 feet in the air.
- Bat-A-Pult - 1200-foot aerial ride along Williams Canyon.
- Cliff Hangar Climbing Wall - Try your hand at rock climbing while safely harnessed in.
- Magic Lantern Virtual Reality Theatre - A VR experience providing 'soaring aerial views, speed, and excitement'.
- Terror-Dactyl - The most thrilling thing you can do at the cave, check out the video below.
- Via Ferrata Canyon Tours - A system of cables and ladders that were once utilized by WWI soldiers.
- Frontier Ziplines - 2 zip lines totaling ¼ mile-long sitting 80’ up.
- Shopping - Pick up a souvenir at Pickett's Mercantile Gift Shop
- Dining - Eat at the Canyon Rim Grill or Caver's Cafe
- Josephine Snider Nature Center - Learn about the history and geology of the cave.
- Panning for Gemstones - Pan for your very own gemstone at the onsite sluice.